Dan came to our attention through a superbly consistent and quite remarkable series of results in our races, and we will surely see some great results from him in 2017 (read about it below).....
1. How did you get into running? Did you have a huge natural talent for it or have you been working your way up from further back in the pack?
Only been taking the running serious over the past few years.. Running has always been with me from the school cross country team to my days of playing rugby. But too many injuries and broken bones ended one sport but opened up a whole new life with running.
2. What is the race you're most proud of so far and can you tell us a bit about it?
It has to be my first Hundred, the West Country Ultra. From throwing myself into it with little experience of that kinda distance; facing the wind and rain; the hills that that just got bigger and bigger; to nearly losing a shoe in a river crossing ( I didn’t need to take); to finishing and ending up 2nd… Memorable and chuffed.
3. Why did you want to run for Albion Running?
Being a West Country lad, I’d loved the opportunity to help showcase the beauty of the trails we have down this way. Having run several of Albion Runnings races they really are doing a stellar job of finding trails that are diverse and spectacular, that’re just great for runners to run. It’s great to be involved.
4. What kind of weekly mileage do you do in training? Do you do much in the way of cross training?
Winter training anything from 75 up to 110 miles per week. From Spring and the start of racing it’s very much quality rather than quantity, tapering and recovery. Otherwise its general gym work, spin classes and just getting out and being active.
5. What are your big running ambitions for next year and for the future?
Have the Centurion 100 Grand Slam as my main focus this year. That’s 4 Hundred milers completed over the year to gain the slam. Hoping to get times for each under 20 hours for starters and ending up with a good aggregate time would be cool.
Also, will be going to Belfast to compete in the Energia 24 Hour race in July.
For the future, maybe Spartathlon ..
6. Are there any other runners out there who particularly inspire you?
Far too corny, but anyone out there toeing the start line. The elites and how you admire their natural ability and dedication. To those further back that show guts and perseverance.
7. What shoes do you run in? Why are they your favourite?
Try to run in my Hoka Clifton (the original version.!!!) when and wherever possible. Besides having that extra bit of cushioning my joints enjoy, I can’t remember ever having a blister in them. Or if I do need some grip, any of my pairs of Inov8s
8. If you could get a free pass into one race in the world next year, all expenses paid, what would it be?
That’s tough.. If it had to be one of the recognised biggies I’d have to go for the Western States 100. The heritage that goes with it and being more of a runnable trail race, yeah would be nice.
9. Do you have any tips for anyone out there who is wanting to improve their running and start challenging for the win/top 3/top 10 in races?
You can’t really beat training harder and smarter
10. Do you have any amusing anecdotes about anything that you've seen/experienced in a race?
One little anecdote - I did have an interesting sequence of race results. From my first ultra, where I came 1st, I followed this up over the next four with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in that order.. Maybe not the direction I would of liked the results to head, but did make for a pretty pattern!
DAN WILL BE RUNNING THE CENTURION RUNNING 100 MILE GRAND SLAM IN 2017 (THAMES PATH 100, SOUTH DOWNS WAY 100, NORTH DOWNS WAY 100, AUTUMN 100) AS WELL AS HAM & LYME 50k (FULL RACE CALENDAR TO FOLLOW SOON)